The Topic: Money-Saving Gifts for Mom
The Dish: Mother's Day is almost a week away, meaning there's no time like the present to pick out the perfect gift to show you care—seriously, there's no time! I've rounded up a few ideas to get you started, whether your budget is $2 or $200.
- What do many moms want more than anything on their special day? My guess: you! If you can't afford to fly in for a face-to-face visit, make some time for a video chat (Skype is free and fantastic). She'll get to see your glowing face, and you can spend some quality time catching up. Word of warning: Video chats are even harder to end than phone calls. Schedule post-chat events accordingly.
- If you can make it home, there's always the classic gift of your chef-ly talents. Preparing a meal from scratch is always sweet, and plenty of delicious recipes are easy on the wallet, too. VegWeb has an amazing Mother's Day page full of ideas. I recommend the Best Ever French Toast.
- Cater to Mom's sweet tooth with the ridiculously decadent Sweet & Sara Marshmallow Variety Sampler. These aren't just vegan marshmallows—they're a party in your mouth. A gourmet treat, the sampler is also a steal at $6.25, and right now S&S is offering a 10-percent discount with the code "spring." You can also buy slightly imperfect sweets—but still highly tasty—at an even deeper discount.
- Vegan Etsy is a wonderful, time-sucking marketplace that's damn near guaranteed to have something Mom would like. With more than 2,000 vintage and handmade gifts, you can sort by price and keywords, making it a cinch to find the best buy. Whether it's these cute heart-shaped turquoise earrings ($5.25) or a Sailor Jerry-inspired soy wax candle ($6), you can score a one-of-a-kind bargain.
- If you want to splurge on your saintly mother but can't ignore your bargain-hunting nature, Vaute Couture is having an amazing sale right now. Its eco-friendly, high-quality, vegan winter coats are selling for 35–70 percent off the original prices. Sure, it's almost summer, but how impressed will Mom be that you're planning ahead? How grown up! And seriously, these coats are gorgeous and will last many winters, reminding her of your stylish and thoughtful self every time she wears it.
- Shameless promotion here, but did you know the VN store sells tons of delicious treats—including vegan peanut butter cups and candy bars—as well as our favorite veg books and merch? Oh, and shipping is always free, which is a big money-saver.
- I love Lush and all of its handmade, cruelty-free cosmetics. There are always new, fun products, and it has a laundry list of animal- and planet-friendly initiatives to its name. The latest offering includes the abolishment of paper gift-wrap in favor of its new Knot-Wrap. Using scarves made from either recycled materials or vintage fabric, all Lush stores will offer Knot-Wraps to secure purchases for pretty presentation. Reusable as everything from a jaunty ascot to a grocery bag, these scarves are pretty and functional, and can easily conceal the perfect Mother's Day gifts.