Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Discount Groceries

The Topic: Smart Shoppers Go Salvaging

The Dish: What if I told you about a magical place where you can buy entire boxes of Luna bars for $1, snag fruit leather for a dime, and stock up on Cherrybrook Kitchen baking mixes for a couple bucks? Would you go there and buy up all of the amazing vegan products before my next trip? Because if so, forget it.

Just kidding! These wonderful places are discount and salvage grocery stores, hiding in a town near you. My particular secret shack is tucked away on a remote road in Southeast Missouri, and it's a must-stop every time I visit my hometown. Luckily, there are similar stores spread across the US, waiting for the savviest of shoppers to discover them. In my lexicon, they're referred to as "dented-can stores," mainly due to the dirt-cheap prices I pay for slight cosmetic flaws. Let's say you come across a slightly crushed box of your favorite cereal. Guess what? Take the cereal bag out of the box and voila, no more ugly dent. While some products may be a few weeks (or months) expired, you'd be surprised how amazing a Lemon Zest Luna Bar tastes when it costs 17¢ and you're hungry for something other than cheap rice and beans.

While this is completely anecdotal and not conclusive, the word is that many of these goldmine salvage stores are located in sketchy-ish neighborhoods, but don't let that scare you off—looks can be deceiving. My dive at home may appear abandoned, but once you're inside, there's shelves upon shelves of cheap goods to dig through. It's like a treasure hunt trying to find your favorite veg-friendly brands, and I've scored some great deals. My mom and I figured out the savings of one of our visits, and we managed to buy $150 of non-perishables for $40.

The Final Word: Many discount grocers don't advertise, so try asking around your community to see if there's a popular local spot. And of course, Google proves incredibly useful for perusing the underground rumblings of cheap consumers. Now go! I have a 50-cent dark chocolate bar to eat.

11 comments:

  1. Great tip! Around here, we have a few reputable discount stores. I've gotten (usually) high-priced cereals, nut butters, and veg meals for cheap. I love being able to score healthy, delicious food that would normally not make it into my cart (due to price).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my local grocery store has a cart at the back of the store(right next to the bathrooms), and it is constantly filled with stuff marked 70% off...so every time I enter the grocery store, I check the cart first, before I do anything else...have scored great deals many, many times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I always forget to shop at discount stores near me. I personally do not care if the outside container is damaged, as long as the food inside is still quality and un-touched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can San Francisco residents find a store like this near them--any tips? I know about Grocery Outlet (not in the city but not far away)... are there any others near here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. San Francisco: FoodsCo, 1800 Folsom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone know somewhere like this in/around the Boston area?? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the Houston area?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in Oregon and have found Yves brand ground turkey product for 79 cents at the Grocery outlet store. Also bought Veganaize for 99 cents for the jar instead of almost five.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a cousin in that area who was just diagnosed with celiacs disease. Can u please share store name/town?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a cousin in that area who was just diagnosed with celiacs disease. Can u please share store name/town?

    ReplyDelete